Behind the Scenes of Virgin Australia
You already have a lot to take care of in everyday life on the ground. There are the meetings, the endless deadlines and that phone call you promised your mother. This is why we invite you to join us 35,000 feet above stress level. Up there, we take care of everything.
On average, we fly over 42,000 passengers a day! Here’s some interesting facts when it comes to food, entertainment and baggage on board Virgin Australia.
No matter what time of day you’re flying, you’ll always be offered something complimentary from our carefully selected food and beverage menu.
- On average, we serve 8,767 cups of coffee, 1,121 litres of Orange Juice and 1,977 litres of water a day
- Our Tomato & Cheese sandwiches use ‘intense’ tomatoes – a new variety that has less juice and more flesh to prevent damp bread. They were developed in NZ from a 100 year old Italian variety
- To create our Egg & Lettuce sandwiches, over 3,800 eggs are cracked per day!
Our wireless in-flight entertainment is available for your enjoyment domestically on equipped Boeing 737-800 and Embraer 190 aircraft via our free app from the App Store or Google Play. We’re constantly updating our Entertainment app, so make sure to update in your app store to engage and enjoy daily news feeds, games and more.
Seat back entertainment is available for our A330 aircraft guests to enjoy for the flight free of charge.
- Action and comedy are always firm favourites, with the latest on board movie hits being John Wick and Dumb and Dumber To.
- On TV, Big Bang and Modern Family are universally popular and Upper Middle Bogan is our home-grown equivalent. Peppa Pig is loved by tiny tots and the Bound Round destination guides by kids for kids spreads the travel bug
- Our guests seem to love anything featuring Morgan Freeman, with his science documentary series ‘Through The Wormhole’ and the movie ‘Last Vegas’ performing well
- When it comes to music, the superstars are Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, with Fleetwood Mac consistently appearing in the top 20 each month
- There are 127 hours of audio books based in popular titles for adults and children alike
- Over 4,000 passengers a month have enjoyed one of our mindful mediation podcasts to relax or reinvigorate during their flight
We make sure you don’t have to carry anything extra around with you. So whether you’re travelling for business or leisure, we now provide every guest with a checked baggage allowance of 23kg.
- On average, we transport over 750,000 pieces of checked baggage per month across our domestic capital city ports
- Sydney is the busiest port across the network for checked baggage, closely followed by Melbourne and Brisbane