Australia, Off the Beaten Track
Home to ancient rock formations, gushing waterfalls, expansive lakes and stunning beaches, The Kimberley is one of the world's last great wilderness areas.
Big, bountiful and utterly beautiful Australia teems with awe-inspiring settings. Discover the true essence of this bronzed, wide-sweeping land with a trip off the beaten track.
New South Wales | Northern Rivers
“God’s Country”, “the Rainbow Region” and “Summerland” are just a few of the monikers assigned to New South Wales’ Northern Rivers. Brimming with lush rainforests, quaint villages, imposing headlands and a pristine coastline, the Northern Rivers district is emblematic of utopia.
Australia's most easterly point, Byron Bay is the region’s most distinguished township, fostering New Age philosophy, raw creative energy and ideals of escapism. A short drive south, the small surfing town of Lennox Head hosts one of the world’s best right-hand point breaks and a unique tea tree-stained freshwater lake.
A few minutes into the hinterland, the Alstonville-Dunoon plateau is home to patches of ancient rainforests like Victoria Park and Booyong Reserve, and the cascading waterfalls of Dalwood Falls and Minyon Falls. While on the fringes of the Tweed Shire, imposing former volcano, Mount Warning witnesses mainland Australia’s first rays of sun each morning.
Long days, almost-perfect weather, never-ending beaches, first-rate accommodation and delicious food, the Northern Rivers has elements to impress even the most discerning city slicker. But beware… many who come for a weekend, often stay for a lifetime.
Plan Your Northern New South Wales Holiday
- For more information about what to do and see, and where to shop and eat, in the Northern Rivers, view our Byron Bay destination guide.
- Uncover the beauty of the Northern Rivers… Virgin Australia operates flights to Ballina/Byron Bay daily, direct from Sydney.
- Take the hassle out of planning your trip away, our partner, Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Ballina/Byron Bay holiday packages.
- Go off the beaten track and discover the Northern Rivers by car. Our car hire partners have cars to suit all terrains and adventures.
Victoria | Hepburn Shire
From the ocean to the country, rural Victoria is loaded with natural splendours. Hugging the bight of Bass Straight, the Great Ocean Road is heralded as one of the world’s most scenic drives. Rich red earth is met underneath bright blue skies in the Sunraysia district—one of Australia's most prominent wine regions. While Australia’s longest river, the Murray snakes along the state’s boarder, supporting a variety of unique river life unseen anywhere on Earth.
Just an hour and a half’s drive north west of Melbourne, the shire of Hepburn particularly provides for sensorial holiday experiences. Home to Australia's largest concentration of natural mineral springs, famous for their relaxing properties, Hepburn Shire – specifically the villages of Daylesford and Hepburn Springs – promotes holistic health and traditions of healing.
Explore the areas mystical appeal… Bath in, or drink, from the waters of one of the region’s mineral springs. Picnic under the period rotunda at Kyneton Mineral Springs Reserve. Hike through bushland at Mount Macedon. Or get caught up in the mystery of the infamous Hanging Rock.
Unconventional, but full of unique and natural wonder – alongside acclaimed restaurants and cafes, farmers markets, roadside stalls and cellar doors – Hepburn Shire is an inspiring region, well worth venturing off the beaten track to visit.
Plan Your Hepburn Shire Holiday
- Hepburn Shire is located 90 minutes from Tullamarine airport... Virgin Australia operates flights to Melbourne daily, direct from all Australian capital cities and most major regional ports.
- Take the hassle out of planning your trip away, our partner, Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Daylesford holiday packages.
- Go off the beaten track and discover the Hepburn Shire by car. Our car hire partners have cars to suit all terrains and adventures.
Western Australia | The Kimberley
There are few regions more quintessentially Australian than The Kimberley. Located in the northern reaches of Western Australia, the area is one of the remotest, wildest and most beautiful expanses on Earth.
The desert meets the sea – in the form of famous 22 kilometre white-sand Cable Beach – at The Kimberley’s southern gateway, Broome. To the south of Cable Beach, Gantheaume Point’s red cliffs preserve dinosaur footprints. Spanning from Broome to Kununurra, Gibb River Road dissects some of Earth’s most rugged terrain, with access to spectacular wildlife and stunning gorges. While World Heritage Listed Purnululu National Park boasts The Kimberley’s most renowned star, the Bungle Bungle range—the ultimate Outback playground.
Home to ancient rock formations, gushing waterfalls, expansive lakes and stunning beaches, The Kimberley is one of the world's last great wilderness areas, and hosts ample opportunity to indulge in a truly off-the-beaten-track adventure.
Plan Your Kimberley Holiday
- Discover the majesty of The Kimberly… Virgin Australia operates flights to Broome and Kununurra daily, direct from Perth.
- Take the hassle out of planning your trip away, our partner, Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Broome holiday packages.
- Go off the beaten track and discover The Kimberley by car. Our car hire partners have cars to suit all terrains and adventures.