The suburb’s main drag, Acland Street is a haunt for the young and in-the-know. Funky bars, on-trend boutiques, superb restaurants and world-famous patisseries line the street, drawing a dynamic crowd of locals and visitors every day of the week.
Connecting up to Acland Street, curving around the St Kilda foreshore, The Esplanade is a well-reputed celebrity of the area.
Frequently referenced by prominent singer-songwriter and die-hard St Kilda advocate, Paul Kelly, The Esplanade is home some of Melbourne’s biggest drawcards. Highlights include: Australia’s premier music venues, the Esplanade Hotel, Palais Theatre and Prince Bandroom; Melbourne’s answer to Coney Island, Luna Park; and one of Victoria’s best art and crafts showcases, the Esplanade Markets.
Fringing Port Phillip Bay, St Kilda also hosts a number of impressive sightseeing opportunities.
The St Kilda Botanic Gardens are a cultural and historical jewel, lush with flora and fauna. Located on the foreshore, the Catani Gardens reflect St Kilda’s past life as a continental-style seaside resort. Also on the beachfront, the St Kilda Sea Baths are an intrinsic part of Melbourne’s culture, and are regarded as a local institution.
The breakwater highlights St Kilda’s part in Melbourne’s Olympic history – constructed to host yachting events for the 1956 Games. While St Kilda Pier is one of Melbourne’s most prominent landmarks – a popular summer haunt that symbolises the neighborhood’s fun and romance.
Adding to the area’s appeal, St Kilda is also the home of one of the country’s most celebrated AFL clubs, the Saints, who have donned the red, white and black for more than 140 years.
Plan Your St Kilda Holiday
- Flights to Melbourne: Virgin Australia operates flights to Melbourne daily, direct from all Australian state capitals, and international locations such as Los Angeles, Abu Dhabi and Bali.
- Melbourne Holiday Packages: Take the hassle out of planning your holiday, Virgin Australia Holidays offers exceptional Melbourne holiday packages.
- Melbourne Hotels: Establish a great base from which to fall in love with Melbourne. Select from a wide choice of hotels and resorts with our hotel partner Agoda.
- Melbourne Car Hire: Take to the road and discover Melbourne, and nearby regions with a hire car from one of our partners.
- Melbourne Tours and Activities: Discover Melbourne though a number of fantastic tours and activities. Our partner GoDo has a number of great Melbourne offers.